Monday, February 26, 2007

Blog # 5

Hello Class,
I found Bloom’s Taxonomy to be very interesting and very useful. Being a student myself, I see how often teachers use the basic level of ‘Knowledge’ to teach their students. I can see why this is done…it is quite a bit easier to ask yes or no questions or multiple choice questions. These types of questions are also a lot easier to grade…mindless almost. It is easier to evaluate right and wrong and thus easier to dole out grades. However, I think education is making huge progress. I see more and more teachers applying Bloom’s Taxonomy by asking more in depth questions (essay questions for example) which force students to demonstrate their understanding. This is what education should be about. I know when my mom was in school, school was more about memorizing fact after fact. Memorize the 50 states, memorize your times tables, memorize your vocabulary words, etc. A lot has changed since then. It is very useful to have the chart demonstrating Bloom’s Taxonomy as well. For us visual learners, the concept of Bloom’s Taxonomy might be lost without the chart. The chart includes sample words that indicate which level of understanding is required. The types of questions that ask the student to “argue” or “assess” the given information are the ones we most dread (at least I do). These are the questions that usually demand the most effort. However, when a teacher says the test will be multiple choice or definitions, or true/false, students are usually very relieved because only the most basic effort will be required of them. So, it makes sense that the natural tendency is to ask the types of questions that require the least effort on the part of the teacher as well as the student. Thankfully, Bloom created his theory on Taxonomy….hopefully all teachers will start to teach more on the ‘Evaluation’ level and less on the ‘Knowledge’ level!
Regarding the multi-media we learned this week, I think PowerPoint is an extremely useful tool in the classroom. From a teacher’s point of view, PowerPoint is an easy way to condense a lot of information into a visual presentation that may keep students more engaged. PowerPoint divides information into separate slides which make it easier for the teacher to stay on track and stay organized. Also, once a teacher creates a PowerPoint presentation for a lecture, it is very easy to go back in and edit a few pictures and information to create a whole new presentation. From the point of view of a student, PowerPoint is very helpful when there is a lot of information. As it does for teachers, PowerPoint divides information up into easy to see slides and allows the student to take organized notes. The visual aids available in PowerPoint help the student to stay interested in the information being presented as well. I would use PowerPoint to organize myself and my students and to facilitate a better understanding of the subject matter. I think PowerPoint is a very easy program to use once you try it and its benefits are abundant! PowerPoint is a visual, organized and efficient means to present all different types of information….I would definitely use this program in the classroom!

5 comments:

desiree said...

I agree Bloom's Taxonomy does sem to be use more because there are teachers who ask good worthwhile questions. I hope to ask questions that only serve my student well even if they do not like that because the test probably won't be multiple choice:).

Ramona's Blog said...

I agree that education has come a long way. Memorizing facts can get quite boring and the last thing you want to do is bore students. No learning takes place at that point. Bloom's Taxonomy offers some creative solutions for students and teachers who may be stuck in a rut.

Leah said...

I tend to disagree about the expectations of students increasing in the k-12 classroom. I’ve found with my recent classrooms observation that many teachers are still expecting students to regurgitate info that will be covered on state exams. (Teaching the test is a phrase that I heard several times). I observed this in a (mild) special ed class where the students may have needed special coaching, but I did not notice any other types of quizzes or tests that would (maybe) be easier for students to express themselves or show a deeper understanding of the material

kcsov said...

Without Bloom we would only be giving multiple test to our students and judging their knowledge off of standardized test....sound familiar?

megs1883 said...

I think what you said about more teachers today are using the higher levels of Bloom's Taxonomy is true. I personally wish that I had experienced more of this in my own schooling.